Monday, April 9, 2012

IMUNURI Prompt: Write of the Night Sky and How We Carry Constellation(s)

In Classical Chinese Medicine, the meridian lines are the maps of star constellations pulled onto the human body.

Adrienne Rich in "Planetarium" describes how she relates to the stars, how she is "a galactic cloud so deep...an instrument in the shape/ of a woman trying to translate pulsations / into images for the relief of the body / and the reconstruction of the mind." (further fab poem excerpt below)

Select a galaxy or constellation and write about it, either from the poetry of its name or image, how it resides inside you, or where you carry it within or express it.

Here are some images of galaxies to inspire (click "images" to see more)... clickable pictures of constellations... and here, for the science geek poetic sparks, what are galaxies? (from NASA)

keywords: constellation, poem, [poet's moniker]

Excerpt from "Planetarium" by Adrienne Rich

...Heartbeat of the pulsar
heart sweating through my body

The radio impulse
pouring in from Taurus

I am bombarded yet I stand

I have been standing all my life in the
direct path of a battery of signals
the most accurately transmitted most
untranslatable language in the universe
I am a galactic cloud so deep so invo-
luted that a light wave could take 15
years to travel through me And has
taken I am an instrument in the shape
of a woman trying to translate pulsations
into images for the relief of the body
and the reconstruction of the mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment