Sunday, October 17, 2010

December on Long Island


Wrapped in an afghan that outlived grandma,
you lie on the couch and mumble
that the tree’s leaning to the left
as we jam it in the stand.
Dad, cursing, denies it’s crooked,
until he steps back and informs us of this fact
as if you’d never said a word.

Then he returns to the truck,
leaving melting footprints on the rug.
Mom brings in some ornaments
and also abandons the scene.

The doctors agree that you shouldn’t be here for Christmas.
You should get to the clinic, the program,
the euphemism, immediately.
“Aspirated vomit. Sedate and restrain.”
You should never have been discharged without a plan.

Dad says it sounds like a country club.
Mom says whatever it takes.
I say as little as possible
and let you direct the routine.
“Hang that little soldier on the left.”
“Are there more of those gold bells?”
“That’s good. I’m feeling minimalist this year.”

You spent Advent with a ventilator in your throat
while storms swept through like grim adolescent moods,
sleet, hail, snow, rain, and random days of clarity.
Now you sit there, watch movies, and wheeze.
I plug in the Christmas lights,
although I put no stock in Christ.

You stumbled through the sliding doors,
screaming of hell and slavery,
swinging wildly at nurses and orderlies…
three days before we found you in ICU
with its blinking red and white lights.
Do you even know who dropped you at the hospital?

I stand on my chair and adjust the star.
I ask what’s next
and you know I don’t mean the tree.
We hear Mom chopping something in the kitchen,
Dad grunting as he shovels snow.

“I don’t know. I’m skeptical.”
The fire sputters in the grate.
“I only recognize one higher power,
and it’s kind of hard to surrender to the weather.”
We gaze out the window,
where reindeer graze on a neighbor’s lawn.

You sip some broth and cough.
Then your head lolls on its haphazard pile of pillows,
so I darken the room and doubtfully listen to you breathe.

Outside, as the sun goes down, the wind picks up.

3 comments:

  1. This week’s exercise really took me down the rabbit hole. When I read the prompt, my first instinct was to see if I could find a promising but unfinished poem from the past and complete it. So I dug up a few and found there was something I wished to explore in an early draft of this piece. Now that I’ve returned to writing after taking a break, I notice that what is not being said in a poem is at least as interesting to me as what is said. And that is definitely true here.

    Before I was sure about what I wanted to write, though, I went to my closet and pulled down a box that contains 40 or 50 journals. Two decades of almost indecipherable scrawl. Suddenly it was 1991, 1994, 2003. I doubt that an ordinary reader would find the entries evocative – I don’t think they’re particularly well written – but, for me, each of them conjured a vivid and emotional world.

    Clambering out the basement window of a girl’s dorm room after our first (and only) kiss. Waking up from a nap in the woods and watching woodpeckers excavate a nest. Eating dinner with a friend when neither of us had the courage to say we were in love. Pulling out the hose on a hot Louisiana day to wash the stray sheepdog that lived under the fishing lodge. Standing on a rock in the Sound as an imminent hurricane coughed up giant waves. All the horses’ names from a barn I worked in...

    Long-distance love affairs. Masochistic hikes. Forgotten arguments. Archetypal road trips.

    And always, amidst everything, a certain yearning.

    A host of forgotten moments. It was kind of like realizing the memory card is full on your camera and downloading a slew of pictures you forgot you’d taken... except that you usually take pictures only when you’re happy. I used to write everything down – and many of my moods were infectiously blue. It was hard to stop reading, although I didn’t always like the person I encountered in there.

    It took a great effort to pull myself back into the present. I was so thrown off that I had to cancel my plans for the evening and go cuddle up with my sweetie, just reading our book and sipping tea as I got my feet back under me.

    One of the depressing parts about this exercise was the disappointment and dissatisfaction I experienced as I read through many of my old poems. So much juvenilia – and is what I’m writing now really any better?

    After a good night’s sleep, I went back to the box and pulled out the journal that contains the initial draft of this poem. I also reread the entries around it looking for related thoughts and catchy phrases. The final poem has approximately the same number of words as the original – but only about a third of them are the same and very few lines survived intact. The opening is fairly similar, and the setting and final tableau are pretty much the same. Yet the journey is very different, and somehow more complete. So I’m not sure I want to repeat this particular exercise, but if part of the point was to make something new and meaningful out of something old and incomplete, then I guess I succeeded.

    IMUNURI suggested posting a comment with a bit about my process. I suspect I’m not the only one who found this emotionally exhausting – as it’s already Wednesday and no one else has posted. If that’s true, I hope this is helpful to the rest of you.

    Welcome back to the present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, brother Terence. Completely agree with you about the challenges this prompt presented. You speak for me:

    "...And always, amidst everything, a certain yearning... I used to write everything down – and many of my moods were infectiously blue. It was hard to stop reading, although I didn’t always like the person I encountered in there."

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the poem itself - I think it's strong and speaks powerfully, providing just enough detail to capture the moment but not "too much information" to distract. I don't really need to know who this is about - it's enough to feel that tension between high holiday expectation and the messiness of life and family.

    ReplyDelete