Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Nein One One

[The random words I used for this poem are in bold type]

I was a shy and guarded young bank exec
burning out my esophagus on breath mints and Marlboros
with little reverence for those not upwardly bound.
Each morning I downed two scrambled eggs,
three tabs of Concerta with high octane Starbucks
to keep distraction at bay,
commuted to work absorbed in audio books
on motivation, risk, and investment,
trusting fully in the omniscience
of finance gurus
and their high-stakes investment advice
until that cold morning when two wild geese
crashed into my office tower
and the resulting explosions that did not occur
reminded me of my unfinished life
and the irreversible damage i might not inflict
upon the precious and fragile world.

No comments:

Post a Comment