Monday, March 21, 2011

This Week's Prompt: Nature's Answer

William Stafford wrote this poem:

Ask Me

Some time when the river is ice ask me
mistakes I have made. Ask me whether
what I have done is my life. Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.
I will listen to what you say.
You and I can turn and look
at the silent river and wait. We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings and goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.
William Stafford

Respond to this poem or write a similar one. What in nature would you want to answer a question about the mistakes you have made? If not this question, what question would you have someone ask, and how would nature (lightning, beehive, trout brook, etc.) relate a response?

keywords: poem, answer, [poet's tagging nickname]

1 comment:

  1. They Call the Wind Messiah

    The wind blows through
    Tumbles leaves, disrupts thoughts
    Much like when I rush, the intent
    Is good, execution poor at best
    A gentle breeze apology
    To soften the blow
    And hope
    That the Levantera of time
    Shifts the clouds that prevent
    Forgiveness from shining through

    ReplyDelete