Friday, March 11, 2011

Sunrise Crumbs Sticky Raincoat

I wake up in the rocking chair at sunrise,
the front of my raincoat sticky with crumbs.

My head throbs like a bass amp, suggesting
I’ll soon be receiving another message
in the form of a microbe.

I search for caffeine with the cold focus of a shark,
but we’ve already blown this week’s wages
on a few sticks of firewood and some buttered pasta.


Nights in this flat are so frigid I suspect
we’ll survive only by setting our hair ablaze
as broken moths batter the panes in hopeless prayer.


This is our garden. In need of weeding.

This is the flabby patrimony passed to us
by fathers who slid out the door when no one was watching.

So despite mama’s precautions,
here we are the knights of Haight
swearing oaths facedown in the dirt.


We wager cigarettes we don’t have over hands of euchre.

I bet my crutches on a sure thing and lost
as if you could vacuum a diamond out of this filthy carpet
or pan up gold in the open tank of our noisome toilet.


There’s no one watching over us now (except the crows)
and if you plan to stay, brother, trust me:
just keep your jacket on at all hours.

It's warmer that way, and you never know
when we'll have to make a swift exit.

2 comments:

  1. After getting a couple of dozen words from the random word generator (and rejecting the really obscure ones, as at present that's just not my style), I arranged my favorites into the following series and used it as a guide for writing the poem above. Honestly, I may prefer this random word poem over the narrative it inspired...

    Sunrise crumbs sticky raincoat.
    Guitar messenger microbe.
    Muscle profit butter shark caffeine.
    Coal barber pasta salary.
    Goose church moth crutch.
    Precaution jackdaw. Knighthood loam.
    Vacuum panning euchre glissade.
    Aboard abaft astraddle oath.
    Flab garden patrimony.
    Rocking chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the music of this:

    "I’ll soon be receiving another message
    in the form of a microbe.

    I search for caffeine with the cold focus of a shark,
    but we’ve already blown this week’s wages
    on a few sticks of firewood and some buttered pasta."

    And of your densated random word poem
    "Precaution jackdaw. Knighthood loam.
    Vacuum panning euchre glissade.
    Aboard abaft astraddle oath.
    Flab garden patrimony."

    I hadn't seen your pieces before mine came to me, but it's interesting that we both ended up crouching in the quagmire. It sounds like the folk in your poem might have been having more fun, though! I wonder if that's some perverse subtext, that poets who have to borrow words are down and out, or close --somehow closer--to the earth?

    ReplyDelete